Friday, June 4, 2010

What a morning...

Please forgive me if this doesnt make much sense..I am still mad and tired from this morning..

A little bit of background for those of you who don't know. Joanna has had problems pooping since birth even when I was breastfeeding. She will have better days but then it always goes back to straining and big poops that hurt her. We have tried everything, and I am mean EVERYTHING the doc has perscribed and nothing has seemed to help so far. My mom said I was the same way when I was a baby....and growing up I had ulcerative colitis and now I still have IBS...my stomach has never been right. The doc thinks she may grow out of this, man I hope so!! :( Makes me cry everytime she is in pain because I know the feeling.

Well we left at 9:30am this morning on the hunt for baby suppositories..Joanna and I ended up going to all the pharmacies in town and NO ONE had baby suppositories!! By the last pharmacy I was really about to punch someone because Joanna was straining the whole time. So...I get fed up and I call back the doctor office and say "look I can not find a baby suppository in this whole town, something has to happen.." She first says they might can see me in the afternoon...I tell her I am not trying to be rude but do you want my baby to struggle all afternoon like this??? So then she says to bring her right in...

We get there and the doctor perscribes her Miralax, hopefully that will act as a stool softener..but he is still dumbfounded by why she isnt going regularly with all the stuff we have tried. So the nurse comes in and puts in a suppository...this should work.....we wait....Joanna is screaming, crying with her legs locked out straining. I am seriously about to punch someone now......"Its not working!!!!"
So I look and about 10 minutes or so later the whole thing comes back out not dissolved at all!...so we try another one...she is still screaming. The doc comes back in and says I am going to have to go into town and now get an infant enema...the suppositories arent working!!!! So I am like WTF...do I take her into town like this? So I call my sister and thank god she was close and she bought one and brought it by.

So as we finally do an enema a poop the size of a large dill pickle comes out...an adult poop!! You could tell Joanna felt so much better...and so did I.

So after Joanna screaming and crying...me crying and about to punch someone...we finally got the poop out!! It took 4 hours of searching around town and being at the doctor to do it.

My poor baby

7 comments:

Jan said...

I am so sorry for your day (and Joanna's). My heart is aching for you both. I'm so thankful that there was a happy ending, but I hate that you both had to go through that today (over the course of several days). I have heard great things about MiraLax, so maybe that will be helpful from here on out (praying it will be).

L said...

My DD had the same issues, & we tried everything. She is 5 now & still has issues. We do the miralax but it takes a while to get the dosage right. Sometimes it made my DD have problems holding it. If they are in a diaper no biggie but now that she is potty trained it was hard. she would try to hold & couldn't, so then we tried different dosages & still can't get it right.
I know how you feel about being helpless & having to watch your child in so much pain. It really is awful. Just wanted you to know your not alone.

ilovejav said...

Thanks Scully, keep in touch and let me know what you figure out. We are starting out on 1tbsp in 2 oz of water but I have a feeling it will take more for her, so we'll see. It sucks because you feel like you are doing something wrong.
Is your profile private..It was not letting me access it.:(

Unknown said...

It's so hard to watch your child in pain like that. Poor baby. That doctor sure is lucky the enema worked because he'd probably be going home with a black eye.

lady gray said...

oh honey, what a rough and sad day for both you and your little girl! i am so glad Joanna is feeling better.

Heather Cara said...

I missed you and am thrilled you are back!! Poor Joanna and you for having to go through that. My nephew had these problems his whole life. I hope they figured it out for you!!

cathy said...

Is she nursing? I have heard a lot of babies having this from milk or milk based formula.. or if you are nursing.. from the milk you drink.