Monday, August 30, 2010

Need sleeping advice. ASAP

Ok so the GPM's know my dilemma but for those of you who don't here it goes. For the most part Joanna has been a pretty good sleeper but everything is starting to change. Her normal go to sleep time used to be anywhere from 9-10pm which was fine with us because sometimes by the time I get home with her its after 7pm. 90% of the time she would sleep through the night and there were rare occasions when she would wake up especially when she was teething.

Well let's fast forward to this past two weeks...:(...she is starting to get more cranky at night. She wants to be held, then doesnt. She pitches more fits and every little noise wakes her up. Her new bedtime(and thats fighting it) is 11pm. I am totally exhausted and its starting to wear on my husband too because I am more crabby towards him.

Last night we decided to try the cry it out method around 10ish because she was getting to overly tired point. Well my husband had to do, I couldnt. I stood in the hallway and cried right along with her. At one point I had to walk by and she saw me and she continued to cry harder!! It totally broke my heart and I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown.:( After about 30 mins or so she was still screaming and I told H if he didnt go back in there I was going to get her. He went in there and fed her a bottle and she finally drifted into sleep.

What to do from here?? Should we try it again tonight, maybe a little earlier? UGH I am soooooooo stressed over this and I know its going to cause my H and I to fight.:( Please help.

3 comments:

mtendere said...

If you're going to do any type of CIO method, my advice is to plan it out so you can be consistent. If you wait until you've tried everything else and then just leave her to cry, she'll just get confused. Decide what you want the bedtime routine to be and then do it that way, leaving her at the end when you would like her to sleep. Decide at what intervals you want to check, if you want to do that. Decide how long you'll let her cry. Then stick to it.

It is hard, but remember that she needs her sleep. My little girl is also beginning to assert her independence these days and that may be what your baby is doing, too. hang in there!

Billie said...

The CIO method is really hard, I know, but I have had success even after a regression here and there. You have to be consistent and you have to have a basic routine. Keep your intervals short and sweet, I found that helped my LO because she got the point that I was telling her I was there but that it wasn't time to hang out (which the 1-2 minute intervals seemed to drag out). Its still hit or miss, some nights its right to bed, others its scream for 45 minutes. Nothing is fool proof, she will have good days and bad but IMO it works.

Another tip, don't torture yourself, sit down to watch TV or something else to focus your attention on. Turn on your monitor but only to where indicator lights let you know there is noise in the room, not to where you can acutally hear her (hopefully yours has that option). Even though I can still usually here Sammy in the other room, it helps to not have a monitor blaring at me too!

Good Luck, you can do this!

Shell said...

Sounds like she is over tired. I would try and put her down at 9pm the latest rock her until she is sleepy and put her down. Let her cry for a few minutes if needs then do it again. After a few days of playing the game Nanie goes down on her own. Moving her bed time an hour earlier helped for us. Now Nanie goes down like a champ.